tenses lengkap dengan contohnya

Sabtu, 24 November 20120 komentar


PRESENT CONTINUOUS (I am doing)

Pattern :
Subject + am / is / are + V ing
·         We say the present continuous when we talk about something which is happening at the time of speaking :
1.    Please don’t make so much noise. I’m studying. (no ‘I study)’
2.    ‘Where is Margaret?’’ ‘’She having a bath.’’ (no she has)
3.    Let’s go out now. It isn’t raining any more.
4.    (at a party) Hello, Ann. Are you enjoying the party? (not do you enjoy)
5.    Ann is in her car. She is on her way to work. so, she is driving to work. This means she is driving now, at the time of speaking.

·         We also use the present continuous when we talk about something which is happening around the time of speaking, but not necessarily exactly at the time of speaking. Study this sample situation :
1.    Yom and Ann are talking and drinking in a café. Tom says : ‘’ I’m reading an interesting book at the moment. I’ll lend it to you when I’ve finished it.’’
Tom is not reading the book at the time of speaking. He means that he has begun the book and hasn’t finished it yet. He is in the middle of reading it. Here are some examples :
1.    Silvia is learning  English at the moment. (not learns)
2.    Have you heard about Tom? He is building his own house. ( not builds)
But perhaps Silvia and Tom are not doing these things exactly at the time of speaking.


·         We often use the present continuous when we talk about a period around the present. For example : today, this season etc.
1.    ‘’You are working hard today.’’  ‘’Yes, I have a lot of to do.’’
2.    Tom isn’t playing football this season. He wants to concentrate on his studies.

·         We use the present continuous when we talk about changing situations :
1.    The population of the word is rising very fast. (not rise )
2.    Is your English getting better? ( not does…get )

EXERCISES OF PRESENT CONTINUOUS
1.    The number of people without jobs in this country….at lately years
a)   Is rising
b)   Was rising
c)    Rise
d)   Are
2.    A : Where is Tom ?
B : Oh! He is a lunch
a)    Have
b)   Had
c)    Have had
d)   Having
3.    The number of population in this Country…very fast
a)    Are rising
b)   Is increasing
c)    Have increasing
d)   Have rising
PRESENT SIMPLE ( I DO )
Pattern :
Subject +  Verbs 0
Ø               Remember that we say he/she/it don’t forget the ‘’s’’
I/we/you/they  drive
He/she/it      drives
Example : I  work in a bank. Barry works in a shop.
·         We use the present simple to talk about things in general. We are not thinking only about the present. We use it to say that something happens all the time or repeatedly, or that something is true in general. It is not important whether the action is happening at the time of speaking :
1.    Alex is a bus driver. But now he is asleep in bed. So he is not driving a bus (he is asleep ) but he drives a bus.
2.    Nurses look after patients in hospitals.
3.    In Britain most of the shops close at 5.30 p.m.

·         We use do/does to make questions and negative  sentences :
1.    Do I/we/you/they work?   I/you/we/they don’t work
2.    Does he/she/it works?  He/she/it doesn’t works.


·         We  use the present simple when we say how often we do things :
1.    I get up at 8 o’clock every morning.
2.    How often do you go to the dentist?.
3.    Ann doesn’t often drinks tea
4.    In summer Tom usually plays tennis twice a week.

·         Note that we say ‘’where do you come from?’’ (= where are you from )
1.    Where do you come from? ( not where are you coming from?)
2.    He comes from Japan. ( not he is coming from Japan )

·         When you make a suggestion, you can say why don’t you….?
1.    I’m tired. ‘’why don’t you go to bed early?’’

EXERCISES OF PRESENT SIMPLE ( I DO)
  1. John works in the post office and I…in a bank
a)    Am works
b)   Work
c)    Working
d)   Am working
  1. A : where does she come from ?
B : Ann…from Australia
a)  Is coming
b)  Came
c)  Comes
d)  Was coming
  1. John….at 5 o’clock
a)    Got up
b)   Get up
c)   Gets up
d)   Is getting up

PRESENT CONTINUOUS (I am doing) or PRESENT SIMPLE ( I do)

  • PRESENT CONTINUOUS (I am doing )
a)    Use the present continuous to talk about something which is happening at or around the time of speaking :
Past                 now            future
1.    The kettle is boiling. Can you turn it off, please?
2.    Listen to those people, what language are they speaking?
3.    Where’s Tom?  He’s playing tennis.
4.    ( you find a stranger in your room). What are you doing here?
5.    Silvia is in Britain for three months. She’s learning  English.

b)   Use the present continuous for a temporary situation :
1.    I’m living with some friends until I can find a flat.
2.    That machine isn’t working. It broke  down this morning ( baru tadi pagi)

c)    Some verbs are used only in simple tenses. For example, you can’t say ‘’I am knowing.’’ You can only say I know.
Here is list of verbs which are not normally used in continuous tenses ( but there are exceptions) :
Want, need, prefer, have, like, love, hate, belong, see, hear, know, realise, believe, suppose ( anggap), mean, understand, remember, forget, seem, look (kelihatannya)
1.    Do you like London? ( not are you liking)
2.    He doesn’t understand. (not he isn’t understanding)
3.    These shoes belong to me. (not are belonging)
4.    What do you think Tom will do? (= what do you believe He will do?)
5.    But What are you think about? (= what is going on in your mind?)


·           PRESENT SIMPLE (I do)
d)   Use the present simple to talk about things in general or things which happen repeatedly :
Past              now             future
1.     Water boils at 100 degrees centigrade.
2.     Excuse me, do you speak English ?
3.     Tom plays tennis every Sunday
4.     What do you usually do at weekends ?
5.     Most people learn to swim when they are children.
6.     What do you do (= what’s your job ?)

e)    Use the present simple for a permanent situation :
1.        My parents live in London. They have been there for 20 years.
2.        That machine doesn’t work. It hasn’t worked for years.


EXERCISES
  1. Ann…..with her relatives until she can find a job.
a)    Was living
b)   Lives
c)   Is living
d)   lived
  1. Andrew….in Australia. He has been there for 12 years.
a)    Lived
b)   Lives
c)    Was living
d)   Is living
  1. I don’t….to someone else right now.
a)    Belonged
b)   Belonging
c)    Belongs
d)   belong

PRESENT TENSE (I am doing/I do) WITH A FUTURE MEANING
  • PRESENT CONTINUOUS WITH A FUTURE MEANING
a)    When you are talking about what you have already arranged to do,  or personal arrangements use the present continuous ( I am doing). Do not use the present simple ( I do)
1.        A : What are you doing tomorrow evening? ( not what do you do ?)
B : I am going to the theatre. (not I go )
2.        A : Are you playing football tomorrow ?
B : Yes, but Tom isn’t playing. He has hurt his leg.
3.        A : Ann is coming tomorrow.
B : Oh is she? What time is she arriving ?
A : At 10.15.
B : Are you meeting her at the station?
A : I can’t. I am working tomorrow morning.

b)   It is also possible to use going to (do) in these sentences (has arranged):
1.     What are you going to do tomorrow morning ?
2.     Tom is going to play tennis on Monday afternoon.
c)    Do not use will to talk about what you have arranged to do :
1.    What are you doing this evening ? ( not what will you do)
2.    Alex is getting married next month. ( not Alex will get)

  • PRESENT SIMPLE WITH A FUTURE MEANING
a)            We use the present simple when we are talking about timetables, programmes etc. ( for examples, for public transport,cinemas)
1.     What time does the film begin ?
2.     The train leaves Playmouth at 10.30 and arrives in London at 13.45.
3.     The football match starts at 8 o’clock
4.     Tomorrow is Wednesday
5.     – The train is leaving Kutoarjo at 10 o’clock tomorrow ( wrong)
-  The train is leaves Kutoarjo at 10 o’clock tomorrow ( right )
6.     ‘’Sang Pencerah’’ shows tonight at 8 o’clock.
b)   But we don’t normally use the present simple for personal arrangements
1.     What time are you meeting Ann? ( not do you meet)


EXERCISES

  1. We….a football match next Friday. Would you like to came?
a)  Were having
b)  Have
c)   Will having
d) Are having
  1. What time…..the plane from Singapore arrive ?
a)    Is
b)   Does
c)    Do
d)   did
  1. Albert….meet his girlfriends on Saturday evening ?
a)    Will to
b)   Goes to
c)    Is going to
d)   Has going to

GOING TO ( I am going to do)
·       We use going to (do) when we say what we have already decided to do, what we intend to do in the future :
1.     She is coming here tomorrow = she is going to come tomorrow ( something that has arranged)
2.     Mrs. Titi will come here at 10 o’clock ( belum yakin)
-Mrs. Titi is going to come at 10 o’clock ( sudah yakin)
3.        A : There is a film on television tonight. Are you going to watch it ?
B : No, I am too tired. I am going to have an early night.
4.        A : I hear Ann has won a lot of money. Whats is she going to do with it?
B : I have heard she’s going to travel round the world.
5.        A : have you made the coffee yet?
B : No, but I am just going to make it ( just = just at the moment)


  • We prefer to use the present continuous ( I am doing) when we say what someone has arranged to do. For example arranged to meet someone, arranged to travel somewhere. Going to is also possible :
1.          What are you going to meet Ann? Or What time are you meeting Ann?
2.          I am going to travel. Or I am travelling to Scotland on Monday

  • We use ‘’was/were going to’’ to say what someone intended to do in the past but didn’t do.(keinginan/niatnya lampau)
1.        We were going to travel by train but then we decided to go by car.
2.        I was just going to cross the road when someone shouted ‘’stop!’’
3.        Actually I was going to marry you. (the fact I didn’t marry you)
4.        A : Did Tom do examination ?
       B : No, He was going to do it but in the end he changed his mind.


  • Going to also has another meaning, Study this example situation :
The man can’t see where he is going. There is a hole in front of him.
‘’He is going to fall into the hole.’’
Here the speaker is saying what he thinks will happen. Of course he doesn’t mean that the man intends to fall into the hole.
We use going to in this way when we say what we think will happen. Usually, there is something in the present situation ( the man walking towards the hole ) that makes the speaker sure about what will happen. More example :
1.    Look at those black clouds! It’s going to rain. ( the clouds are there now )
2.    Oh, I feel terrible. I think I am going to be sick. ( I feel terrible now )
3.    Miss Titi will come here at 10 o’clock ( belum yakin )
4.    Miss Titi is going to come here at 10 o’clock ( sudah yakin )

EXERCISES OF GOING TO ( AM GOING TO DO)
  1. A : I’ve decided to have a trip with someone.
B : who are you….to invite?
a)   Going
b)   Goes
c)    Gone
d)   Get
  1. He is just going to…my bike
a)    Repaired
b)   Repairing
c)   Repair
d)   Has repairing
  1. I feel bad. I think I…going to be sick.
a)  Was
b)  Am
c)   Will
d)  have

WILL (1)
  • We use will when we decide to do something at the time of speaking.
1.    Oh, I’ve left the door open. I’ll go and shut it.
2.    What would you like to drink  ?  I’ll have a lemonade, please.
3.    Did you phone Ann ?  Oh No, I forgot. I’ll do it now.
4.    I am too tired to walk home. I think I’ll get taxi.
  • You cannot the present simple ( I do ) in these sentences :
‘’ I’ll go and shut it.( not I go and shut it).’’
  • Do not use will to say what someone has already decided to do or arranged to do :
1.    I can’t meet you tomorrow because my parents are coming to see me. (not my parents will come )
  • The negative of will is won’t ( or will not )
1.    Receptionist : I am afraid Mr. Wood can’t see you until 4 o’clock.
You : oh, in that case I won’t wait.


  • We often use I think I’ll… or I don’t think I’ll… when decided to do something :
1.    I think I’ll stay at home this evening.
2.    I don’t think I’ll go out tonight. I am too tired.
  • We often use Will in these situation :
1.    Offering to do something :
a)     That bag looks heavy. I’ll help you with it. (not I help)
b)     I need some money.  Don’t worry. I’ll lend you some.
2.    Agreeing or refusing to do something :
a)     A : You know that book I lent you? Can I have it back ?
      B : Of course. I’ll bring it back this afternoon.
b)     I’ve asked John to help me but he won’t
c)     The car won’t start (= the car refuses to start )


3.    Promising to do something :
a)     Thank you for lending the money. I’ll pay you back on Friday. ( not I pay )
b)     I won’t tell Tom what you said. I promise.
c)     I promise I’ll phone you as soon as I arrive.

4.    Asking someone to do something (will you…) :
a)     Will you shut the door, please ?
b)     Will you please be quiet? I am trying to concentrate.

EXERCISES WILL (1)
1.        A : would you like tea or milk ?
B : I’ll….tea.please.
a)   Have
b)   Drink
c)    Get
d)   Need
2.                  I promise I’ll phone you tomorrow
a)                 True
b)                  False
3.                  That suitcase looks heavy. I help you with it.
a)                  True
b)                  False                    ® I’ll help you with it.

WILL (2)

·        When we talk about the future, we often say what someone has arranged to do or intends to do. Do not use will in this situation :
1.    Tom is playing tennis on Monday. ( not Tom will play)
2.    Are you going to watch television this evening ? ( not will you watch)
·        But often when we are talking about the future, we are not talking about arrangements or intentions. Study this example :
Tom : I’m very worried about my examination next week.
Ann  : Don’t worry, Tom. You’ll pass.
You’ll pass is not arrangement or intention. Ann is just saying what will happen or what she thinks will happen. She is predicting the future. When we predict a future happening or a future situation, we use will/won’t.
1.    When you return home, you will notice a lot of changes.
2.    This time next year I’ll be in Japan. Where will you be ?
3.    When will you know your examination results ?
4.    Tom won’t pass his examination. He hasn’t done any work for it.


·        We often use will with these words and expressions :
Probably =  I’ll probably be a bit late this evening.
(I’m) sure =  You must meet Ann. I’m sure you will like her.
         I expect   =  I expect Carol will get the job.
         I think      =  Do you think we will win the match ?
·        Will and Shall
1.    You can use shall or will with I and we :
We shall ( or we will) probably go to Scotland in June.
2.    But in spoken English we normally use the short forms I’ll and we’ll :
We’ll probably go to Scotland in June.
3.    The negative of shall is shan’t ( or shall not) :
I shan’t (or I won’t) be here tomorrow.


4.    Do not use shall with he /she/it/you/they.
Note that we use shall ( not will) in the questions shall I…? and shall we…? ( for offers suggestions etc.) :
a)    Shall I open the window ? (= Do you want me to open the window ?)
b)   I’ve got no money. What shall I do? (= What do you suggest I do?)
c)    Where shall we go this evening ?

EXERCISES OF WILL AND SHALL

1.    Tom will play basket ball on Tuesday               ® true/false
( Tom is playing Basket on Tuesday)
2.    Where will we go tomorrow?                          ®true/false
3.    Ann isn’t free on Sunday. she will work.           ®true/false
(Ann isn’t free on Sunday. She is working)

WILL or Going to
·        Talking about the future actions
We use both will and going to to talk about our future actions but there is a clear difference. Study this example situation :
1.    Helen’s bicycle has a flat tyre. She tells her father.
Helen : My bicycle has a flat tyre. Can you repair it for me ?
Father : Okay, Bit I can’t do it no. I’ll repair it tomorrow.
          Will = We use will when we decide to do something at the time of speaking. The speaker has not decided before. Before Helen told her father, He didn’t know about the flat tyre.
2.   Later, Helen’s Mother speaks to her husband.
Mother : Can you repair Helen’s bicycle? It has a flat tyre.
Father : Yes, I know. She told me. I am going to repair it tomorrow.
Going to = We use going to when we have already decided to do something. Helen’s father had already decided to repair the bicycle before his wife spoke to him.


Here is another example :
1.    Tom is cooking when he suddenly finds that there isn’t any salt :
Tom : Ann,we haven’t go any salt.
Ann : Oh, haven’t we? I’ll get some from the shop then. (she decides at the time of speaking)
Before going out, Ann talks to Jim :
Ann : I am going to get some salt from the shop. (she has already decided).
          Can I get you anything, Jim?
·        Saying what will happen (predicting future happening)
We use both will and going to to say  
1.    Do you think Tom will get the Job ?
2.   Oh dear, it’s already 4 o’clock. We’re going to be late.
We use going to (not will) when there is something in the present situation that shows what will happen in the future ( especially the near future). The speaker feels sure about what will happen because of the situation now.


1.    Look at those black clouds. It’s going to rain. (clouds are there now)
2.    I feel terrible. I think I am going to be sick. (I feel terrible now)
Do not use will in situations like this.
·        Otherwise, It is safer to use will :
1.    Ann will probably arrive at about 8 o’clock.
2.    I think Tom will like the present you bought for him.

EXERCISES
1.   A : What would you like to eat, Hot Dog or Humberger ?
B : I….(have) both, please.
( I’ll have both, please)

2.   Do you think Mrs. Vina…(get) the job?
( Do you think Mrs. Vina will get the job ?)

3.   The plane…(probably/leave) at 12 o’clock
( The plane will probably leave at 12 o’clock).
When and If sentences (when I do…/if I do…)
·        Study this example :
A : What time will you phone me tonight?
B : I’ll phone you when I get home from work.
‘’ I’ll phone you when I get home from work ’’ is a sentence with two parts. I’ll phone you (the main part) and when I get home from work (the when part). The sentence is future. But you can’t use will or going to in the when part of the sentence. Instead we use a present tense, usually present simple ( I do).
1.    I’ll send you a postcard when I’m on holiday.( not when I will be)
2.    When the rain stops, we’ll go out. (not when the rain will stop)
The same thing happens after :
While                    after           before                  until/till      as soon as
1.    Can you look after the children while I am out? (not will be)
2.    Before you leave, You must visit a museum. (not will leave)
3.    Wait here until I come back. (not will come).


·        You can also use the present perfect (I have done) after when/after/until etc, To show what the first action will be finished before the second :
1.    When I’ve read this book, you can have it.
2.    Don’t say anything while Tom is here. Wait here until he has gone.
It is often possible to use present simple or present perfect :
1.    I’ll come as soon as I finish  or   I’ll come as soon as I’ve finished.
2.    You’ll feel better after you have something to eat  Or  you’ll feel better after you’ve had something to eat.
·        After if we can also use the present simple (I do) for the future :
1.    It’s raining. We’ll get wet if we go out. (not if we will go)
2.    Hurry up! If we don’t hurry, we’ll be late. (not if we won’t hurry)


Be careful not to confuse when and if
Use when for things which are sure to happen :
‘’ I am going shopping this afternoon.  when I go hopping, I’ll buy some food.’’
Use if (not when) for things which will possibly happen :
1.    I might go shopping this afternoon. If I go shopping, I’ll buy some food.
2.    If it rains this evening, I won’t go out. (not when it rains)
3.    Don’t worry if I am late tonight. (not when I am late)
4.    If he doesn’t come soon, I am not going to wait. (not when he doesn’t come).

EXERCISES
1.   Everyone will be (be) very surprised if he passes ( pass) the examination.
2.   I’ll find somewhere to live. Then I’ll give you my address.
I’ll find somewhere to live when you give me your address.
3. I am going shopping if you want anything. I can’t get it for you.
Will be doing ad Will have done
A.    Will be doing
·        First study this example situation :
Tom is a football fan and there is a football match on television this evening.The match begins at 7.30 and ends at 9.15. Ann wants to come and see Tom this evening and wants to know what time to come :
Ann : Is it all right if I come at 8.30 ?
Tom : No, don’t come then. I’ll be watching the match on television.
Ann ; Oh. Well. What about 9.30?
Tom : Yes. that’ll be fine, The match have finished by then.
·        We use will be doing (future continuous) to say that we will be in the middle of doing something at a certain time in the future. The football match begins at 7.30 and ends at 9.15. So during this time, For example at 8.30, Tom will be watching the match. Here are some more examples :
1.    You’ll recognize her when you see her (Certain time ).She’ll be wearing a yellow hat.
2.    This time next week (certain time). I’ll be on holiday. I’ll probably be lying on a beautiful beach.


Compare will be doing with other continuous forms :
Tom works every morning from 9 o’clock until midday. So :
1.    At 10 o’clock yesterday he was working. (past continuous)
2.    It’s 10 o’clock now. He is working. (present continuous)
3.    At 10 o’clock tomorrow he will be working.
·        You can also use will be doing in another way : To talk about things which are already planned or decided.
I’ll be going to the city centre later. Can I get you anything?
With this meaning will be doing is similar to am doing.
I am going to the city centre later.
We often use will (you) be- ing ? to ask about people’s plans. Especially when we want something or want someone to do something :
1.    Will you be using your bicycle this evening?  No, you can take it.
2.    Will you be passing the post office when you go out? Yes why?
3.    Will you be going out tonight  ? yes why?



B.   Will have done
·        We use will have done (future perfect) to say that something will already have happened before a certain time in the future. Tom’s football match ends at 9.15. So after this time for example at 9.30 the match will have finished. Here are some more examples :
1.    Next year is Ted and Amy’s 25th wedding anniversary. They will have been married for 25 years. (now they have been married for 24 years).
2.    We’re late. I expect the film will already have started by the time we get to the cinema.

EXERCISES
  1. Ann always reads  the magazines in the afternoon. It always  take her half an hour, from 4 o’clock until 4.30. So :
a)    At 4.15 yesterday afternoon Ann was reading
b)   It’s  4.15 now. She is reading
c)    At 4.15 tomorrow afternoon She will be reading.
3.          Your friends is going shopping. You want him/her to buy some stamps for you at the post office. ( you/pass/the post office when you’re in town)
Will you be passing the post office when you in town ?

4.          Jim always goes to bed at 11 o’clock. Tom is going to visit him at 11.30 this evening.
When Tom arrives, (jim/go/to bed). Jim will have going to bed.
Past Simple ( I did )
Pattern :
S+V2/was, were
  • Study this example :
Tom : Look! It’s raining again.
Ann : Oh no, not again. It rained all day yesterday too.
Rained is the past simple tense. We use the past simple to talk about actions or situation in the past.
1.    I very much enjoyed the party.
2.    Mr. Edwards died ten years ago.
3.    When I lived in Manchester. I worked in a bank.
  • Very often the past simple ends in –ed :
1.    We invited them to our party but they decided not to come.
2.    The police stopped me on the way home last night.
3.    She passed her examination because she studied very hard.


But many important verbs irregular. This means that the past simple does not end in –ed. For example :
Leave ®  left       We all left the party at 11 o’clock.
Go     ® went       Yesterday I went to London to see a friend of mine.
Cost   ® cost        This house cost £35,000 in 1980.
The past of the verb be ( am/is/are) is was/were :
I/he/she/it was      we/you/they were
I was angry because Tom and Ann were late.

  • In past simple questions and negative we use did/didn’t + infinitive ( do/open/rain etc).
It rained       did it rain     it didn’t rain.
1.    Ann : Did you go out last night, Tom?
Tom : yes, I went to the cinema. But I didn’t enjoy the film.
2.    When did Mr. Edwards die ?
3.    What did you do at the weekend?
4.    We didn’t invite  her to the party . so she didn’t come.
5.    Why didn’t you phone me on Tuesday?
Note that we normally use did/didn’t with have :
1.    Did you have time to write the letter ?
2.    I didn’t have enough money to buy anything to eat.
But we don’t use did with the verb be ( was/were):
1.    Why were you so angry ?
2.    They weren’t able to come because they were very busy.
3.    Was Tom at work yesterday ?

EXERCISES OF PAST SIMPLE ( I DID)

  1. Tom usually wakes up early. Yesterday morning He woke up early

  1. Tom’s father tought (tell)him how to drive when he was 17.

  1. We didn’t eat (not/eat) anything because we were not (not/be) hungry.

Past continuous (I was doing)
·         Study this example situation:
Yesterday Tom and Jim played tennis. They begine at 10 o’clock and finished at 11 o’clock.                                                     
What were they doing at 10.30?
They were playing tennis (at 10.30).
‘They were playing’ means that they were middle of playing tennis. They had started playing but they hadn’t finished.
This is the past continous tense:
I/he/she was playing
We/they/you were playing
          We use the past continous to say that someone was in the middle of doing something at certain time. The action or situation, had already started before this time but hadn’t finish,
1.    This time last year I was living in Brazil.
2.    What were you doing at 10 o’clock last night?


·         The past continuous does not tell us whether an action was finished or not. Perhaps it was finished , perhaps not. Compare:
1. Tom was cooking the dinner. (past continuous)= he was in the middle cooking the dinner and we don’t know whether he finished cooking at.
2. Tom cooked the dinner . (past simple)= he began and finished it.

·         We often the past continuous (I was doing) and the past simple (I did) together to say that something happened in the middle of something else:
1.  Tom burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner.
2.  I saw Jim in the park. He was sitting on the grass and reading a book.
3.  It was raining when I got up.
4.  While  I was working in the garden, I hurt my back.
·         But to say that one thing happened after another, use the past simple:
1.    Yesterday evening Tom was having a bath when the phone rang he got of the bath and answered the phone.
Compare:
2.    When tom arrived, we were having dinner. (past continuous) = we had already started dinner before tom arrived
3.    When tom arrived we had dinner. (past simple) = tom arrived then we had dinner.


EXERCISES of PAST CONTINUOUS
1.    Last night I was reading ( read) I bed when suddenly I heard ( hear) a scream.
2.    I broke ( break) a plate last night. I was doing (do) the washing up when it slipped (slip) out of my hand.
3. I saw (see) Carol at the party. She was wearing (wear) a really beautiful dress.
Present perfect (I have done) (1)
·         Study this example situation:
Tom is looking for his key. He can’t find it.
He has lost his key.
‘he has lost his key’ means that he lost it a short time ago and he still hasn’t got it.
This is present perfect (simple) tense:
I/we/you/they have (= I’ve etc.) lost
He/she has (=he’s etc.) lost
I (etc) haven’t lost
He/she hasn’t lost
Have you (etc.) lost?
Has he/she lost?
We form the present with have/has + the past participle. The past participle end in –ed (opened, decided) but many important verbs are irregular (lost written etc.) see appendix 2.
·         When we use the present perfect there is a connection with the present:
1.    I’ve lost my key. (= I haven’t got it now.)
2.    Jim has gone to Canada. (= He is in Canada or on his way there now.)
3.    Oh dear, I’ve forgotten her name. (= I can’t remember it now.)
4.    Have you washed your hair? (= is it clean now?)

·         We often use the present perfect to give information or to announce resert happening.
1.    I’ve lost my key. Can you help me look for it?
2.    Do you know about jim ? He’s gone to Canada
3.    Ow!.. I’ve burnt my self.

·         You can use the present perfect with just (= a short time ago.)
1.    ‘Would you like something to eat?‘  ‘No, thanks. I’ve just had lunch.’
2.    Hello, have you just arrived?

You can use the present perfect with already to say that something has happened sooner the expected:

1.    ‘Don’t forget to post the letter, will you?’  ‘I’ve already posted it.’
2.   ‘When is Tom going to start his new job?’  ‘He has already started’


·         Study the difference between gone to and been to:
1.    Ann is on holiday. She has gone to Italy. (= She is there now or she is on her way there.)
2.    Tom is back in England now. He has been to Italy. (=he was there but no he has come back.)

EXERCISES Of PRESENT PERFECT (1)
  1. Have you seen John anywhere ? (yes/ I/just/see/him)
Yes I have just see him

  1. Ann’s hair was dirty. Now it is clean. (wash) she has washed

  1. Would you like a cigarette? (No thanks/I/just/put/one out)
NO thanks, I have just put one out.
Present perfect (I have done) (2)
·         Study this example conversation:
Dave: have you travelled a lot, Nora?
Nora: Yes, I’ve been to 47 different countries.
Dave: Really? Have you ever been to China?
Nora: Yes, I’ve visited China twice.
Dave: What about India?
Nora: No, I’ve never been to India.
When we talk about a period of time that continues up to the present, we use the present perfect. Nora and Dave are talking about the places Nora has visited in her life ( which a period continuing up to the present).
Here are some more examples:
1.    Have you read Hamlet?’  ‘No, I haven’t read any of Shakespeare’s plays.’
2.    How many times have you been to the United States?
3.    Susan really loves that film. She’s seen it eight times.
4.    Sam has lived in Belfast all his life. (or Sam has always lived in Belfast.)

·         We often use ever and never with the present perfect:
1.    Have you ever eaten caviar?
2.    We have never had a car.


·         We often use the present perfect after a superlative.
1.   What a boring film! It’s the most boring film I’ve ever seen.

·         You have to use the present perfect with this time the first time…., it’s the first time…
Study this example situation:
1.    Ron is driving a car. He is very nervous and unsure because it’s his first time behind the wheel of a car. You can say:
This is the first time he has driven a car. (not ‘drives’)
Or: he has never driven a car before.
Here are some more examples:
1.    Tom has lost his passport again. It’s the second time he has lost it.
2.    Is this first time you’ve been in hospital?


·         Use the present perfect to say that you have never done something or that you haven’t done something during a period of time which continuous up to the present:
1.    I have never smoked.
2.    I haven’t smoked for three years. (not ‘I don’t smoke for…’)
3.    I haven’t smoked since September. (not ‘I don’t smoke since…’)
4.    Jill hasn’t written to me for nearly a month.
5.    Jill has never driven a car.

EXERCISES of  Present perfect (2)

  1. Len is playing tennis. He’s not very good and doesn’t know the rules.
You ask : Is this the first time  have  played tennis?
Len        : Yes. I’ve ever played before.

  1. Is it a good film? (see) Yes, It’s the best film I have ever seen

  1. (you ever/be/to Scotland) ? ® Have you ever been to Scotland?

Present Perfect (I have done) (3)
·         Study this example
Tom: have you heared from George?
Ann: No, he hasn’t written to me recently.
We use present perfect when we talk about a period of time that continues up to the present. Tom and Ann are talking about the period between a short time ago and now. So they say ‘have you heared’ and ‘he hasn’t written’.
Here are some more examples:
1.    Have you seen my dog? I can fine him any where
2.    Everything is going fine. We haven’t had any problems so far.
3.    We’ve met a lot of interesting people in the last few days.
4.    Fred has been ill a lot in the past few years, hasn’t he?
5.    I haven’t seen George recently. Have you?
For sentences with for and since see unit 18.
·         We often use the present perfect with yet (see also unit 107). Yet shows that5 the speak expecting something to happen. Use yet only in question and negative sentences:
1.    Has it stopped raining yet? (not ‘did it stopped’)
2.    I haven’t told them about the accident yet. (not ‘I didn’t tell’)

·         We use the present perfect with this morning / this evening / today / this week / this term (when this periods are not finished at the time of speaking):
1.    I’ve smoked ten cigarettes today. (perhaps I’ll smoke more before today finishes)
2.    Has Ann had a holiday this year?
3.    I haven’t seen Tom this morning. Have you?
4.    Ron hasn’t studied very much this term.
5.   Bill is phoning his girl-friend again. That’s the third time he’s planned her this evening.

·         We also use t5he present perfect continuous (I have been doing) when we talk about a period of the continuing up to the present:
1.    I haven’t been feeling very well recently
For the present perfect continuous see unit 16-18.
For the present perfect and past simple see unit 20-1.

EXERCISES of Present Perfect (3)
1.    We are a lot yesterday but we haven’t eaten much so far today.
2.    It snowed a lot last winter but it hasn’t so far this winter
3.    Has Gerry asked Diana to marry him ?
He hasn’t asked it yet but he ask to marry it.
Present Perfect continuous (I have been doing)
·         Study this examples situation:
Is it raining?
No, it isn’t but the ground is wet.
It has been raining.
This is the present perfect continuous tense:
I/we/they/you have (= I’ve etc) been dong.
He/she/it has (= he’s etc.) been doing.
We use the present perfect continuous when we talk about an action quite place along action which began in the past and has recently stopped or just stopped. Here are example:
1.    You’re out of breath. Have you been running?
2.    That man over there is bright red I think he’s been sunbathing.
3.    Why are your clothes so dirty? What have you been doing?
4.    I’ve been talking to Tom about your problem and he thinks…..


·         We also use the present perfect continuous to ask or say how long something has been happening. This time the action or situation began on the past and is still happening or just stopped. Study this examples:
1.    It is raining now. It began to rain two hours ago and it’s still raining.
2.    It has been raining for two hours.

·         We often use the present perfect continuous in this away especially with how long, for and since.
Here are some more examples:
1.    How long have you been learning English?
2.    They’ve been waiting here for over an hour.
3.    I’ve been watching television since 2 o’clock.
4.    George hasn’t been feeling very well recently.
5.    Have to been working hard today?

·         You can also use the present perfect continuous (with how long, for and since) for actions repeated over a period of time:
1.    She has been playing tennis since she was eight.
2.    How long have you been working hard today?

EXERCISES of Present Perfect continuous
  1. Ann is very tired. (she/work/hard) She has been working hard.
  2. My foot is hurting. How long has it been hurting ?
  3. Mike plays chess. How long  has mike been playing chess ?
    Present Perfect Continuous (I have been doing) or Present Perfect Simple ( I have Done)
·         Study these example situation:
1.    Ann’s clothes are covered in paint.
The ceiling was white. Now it’s blue.
2.    She has been painting the ceiling.
Has been painting is the present perfect continuous tense.
3.    She has painted the ceiling.

Has painted is the present perfect simple tense.
·         We are interested in the action. It does not matter whether something has been finished or not. In the example, the action has not been finished.

·         This time, the important things is that something has been finished. We are interested in the result of the action, not in the action itself.

·         Here are some pairs of examples:
1.    Tom’s hand are very dirty. He has been repairing the car.
The car is going again now. Tom has repaired it.
2.    You’ve been smoking too much recently. You should smoke less.
Somebody has smoked all my cigarettes, the packet is empty.


·         We use continuous form to say how long something has been happening.
We use the simple form to say how much we have done, how many things we have done, or how many times we have done something.
1.    Ann has been writing letters all day.
2.    Ann has written letters today.
3.    How long have you been reading that book?
4.    How many pages of that book have you read?
5.    Jim has been playing tennis since 2 o’clock.
6.    Jim has played tennis three times this week.


EXERCISES
  1. Linda is from Australia. Now she is travelling round  Europe. She began her tour three months ago.
( she/travel/around Europe for three months) = She has been travelling  around the Europe for three months
(she/ visit/six countries so far) = She has visited six countries so far.
  1. Your friend is waiting for you. How long have you been waiting for me?

3.   You friend writes books. How many books has you written ?
Present Perfect (I have done / I have been doing with how long, for and since)
·         Study this example situation.
Bob and Alice are married. They got married exactly 20 years og. So today is there 20th wedding anniversary.
They have been married for 20 years.
We use the present perfect to say how long something has existed or how long something has been happening.
They are married.  – how long they have been married. They have been married for 20 years.

·         We use the present perfect continuous (I have been doing) to say how long something has been happening.
1.    I’ve been learning English  for a long time.
2.    Sorry I’m late. Have you been waiting long?
3.    It’s been raining since I got up this morning.

·         Sometimes the action is a repeated action. :
1.    Tom has been driving for ten years.
2.    How long have you been smoking?


·         The continuous (I have been doing) or the simple (I have done) can be used for action repeated over along period :
1.    I have been collecting / I have collected stamps since I was a child.

·         We use the simple (I have done) for situation that exist for a long time (especially if we use always). Note that situation still exist now:
1.    My father has always  worked hard (not ‘has always been working’)

·         We use the continuous for situations over a shorter time. Compare :
1.    John has been living in London since January.
2.    John has always lived in London.

·         Some verbs (for example be, have, know) are not normally  used in the continuous.
1.    How long have Bob and alice been married?
2.    Tom has had a cold for the past week. (not ‘has been having’)
3.    Tom and  I have known each other since we were at school.

·         Do not use the present simple (I do) or continuous (I am doing) to say how long something has been happening.
1.    I’ve been waiting here for an hour. (not ‘I am waiting’).
2.    How long have you known tom? (not ‘do you know?’)
EXERCISES
  1. My sister is married. How Long Has she been married ?
  2. I live in London. How long have you been living in London
  3. It is snowing. How long has it been snowing?
    Present Perfect with how long and past simple with when
Since and for

·         Use the past simple (I did) to ask ar say when something happened:
1.    A: when did it start raining?
B: It started raining at one o’clock / an our ago.
2.    A: when did Tom and Ann first meet?
B: They first met when they were at school / a long time ago.

·         Use the present perfect (I have done / I have been doing) to ask or say how long something has bee happening (up to the present):
1.    A: How long has it been raining?
B: It’s been raining since one o’clock / for an hour.
2.    A: How long have Tom and Ann known each other?
B:They’ve known each  other since they were at school / for  long time.

·         Since and for
We use both since and for to say how long something has been happening:
1.    I’ve been waiting for you since 8 o’clock.
2.    I’ve been waiting for you for two hours.


·         We use since when we say the beginning of the period (8o’clock).
We use for when we say the period of time (two hours)
1.    She’s been working here since April. (= from April until now)
She’s been working here for six month. (not ‘since six month’)
2.    I haven’t seen Tom since Monday. (= from Monday util now)
Haven’t seen Tom for tree days. (not ‘since three days’)

·         We do not use for in expressions with all ( all day / all morning  / all week / all my self etc.
1.    I’ve lived here all my life. (not ‘for all my life’)

·         Note the structure How long is it since…?:
1.    A: How long is it since you ad a holiday?
B: It’s two years since I had a holiday. (= I haven’t had  a holiday for two years.)
2.    It’s ages since Tom visited us. (= he hasn’t visited us for ages.)

EXERCISES
  1. Ann is learning Italian.
(how long/she/learn Italian ?) How long has been she learning Italian
  1. I know Tom.
(how long/you/know Tom?) How long have you known Tom ?
  1. A : Do you often eat in restaurants ? (no /six months
B : No, it is six months since I ate.
Present perfect (I have done) or past simple (I did)? (1)
·         Study this example situation:
This is Tom. He is looking for his key. He can’t find it.
He has lost his key. (present perfect)
This means that he hasn’t got his key now.

Five minute later:
Now Tom has found his key.
This means that=hat he has got his key now.
He has lost his key? (present perfect).
No, he hasn’t. he has found it.
Did he lose his key? (past simple)
Yes, he did.
He lost (past simple) his key but now he has found (present perfect) it.

The present perfect(has lost) always tells us something about present. He has lost his key’ tells us he hasn’t got it now(see Unit 13). The past simple (lost) tells us only about the past. If we say ‘He lost his key’, we don’t now whether he has it now or not. We only know that he lost it at some time in the past. Here are some example:


1.    He grew a beard but now he has saved it off. (=He hasn’t got a beard now.)
2.    Princes fell but now they have risen again. (= They are high now.)

·         Do not use the present perfect (I have done) for happenings or actions which are not connected with the present(for example, historical events):
1.    The Chinese invited printing. (not ‘have invited’)
2.    Shakespeare wrote hamlet. (not ‘has written’)
3.    How many symphonies did Beethoven compose? (not ‘has ….composed’)

·         We use the present perfect (I have done) to give new information or to announce a recent happening . but if we continue to talk about it, we normally use the past simple (I did):
1.    A: Ow!!! I’ve burnt myself!
B: How dud you that? (not ‘have you done’)
A: I touched a hot dish. (not ‘have touched’)
2.    A: look! Somebody has split milk on the carpet.
B: Well, it wasn’t me. I didn’t do it. (not ‘hasn’t been’)
A: I wonder who it was then. (not ‘who it has been’) 

EXERCISES

1.    Who has written  the play Hamlet ?       ® right or wrong
(Who wrote  the play Hamlet ?)

2.    A : you hair looks different. Have you had ( you/have ) a haircut?
B : yes
A :Did you cut (you/cut) it yourself.

3.    A : Did you hear about Ben? He has  broken (break) his leg.
B : Really, How did that happened(that/happen)
A : He fell (fall) off a ladder.
Present Perfect ( I have done ) or Past simple (2)

·         Do not use the present perfect ( I have done ) when you are talking about a finished time I the past ( for example : yesterday, two years ago, in 1979, when I was a child). Use a past simple ( I did) :
1.    Tom lost his key yesterday. ( not has lost)
2.    Did you see the film on television last night ? ( not have you seen)
3.    Mr. Greaves retired from his job for two years ago. ( not has retired).
4.    I ate a lot of sweets when I was a child.

·         Use simple past tense to ask when something happened :
1.    What time did they arrive/ (not have arrived)
2.    When were you born? (not have you been born)

·         Here we are not thinking of the past action, we are thinking of the present result of the action : He is without his key now. So Tom lost his key yesterday. (past simple).

·         Now compare this sentences :
1.     Present Perfect ( I have done ).
a)    I’ve smoked 20 cigarettes today.

Today is a period of time which continues up to the present. It is not a finished time. So we use the present perfect.
b)   Tom hasn’t been ill this year.
c)    Have you seen Ann this morning? ( it is still morning)
d)   Have you seen Ann recently?
e)    We’ve been waiting for an hour. (we are still waiting)
f)     Ian has lived in London for six years. ( He still lives in London)
g)   I have never played golf ( in my life).
The present perfect always has a connection with the present.
2.    Past Simple ( I did)

a)    I smoked 20 cigarettes yesterday.
Yesterday is a finished tme in the past. So we use the past simple.
b)   Tom wasn’t ill last year
c)    Did you see Ann this morning? (it is now afternoon)
d)   Did you see Ann last week ?
e)    We waited (or were waiting) for an hour.( We are no longer waiting)
f)     Ian lived in Scotland for ten years. ( he no longer lives there).
g)   I didn’t play golf when I was on holiday last summer.
The past simple tells us only about the past.

EXERCISES

1.    ( how many pencil/you/lost/yesterday?)
How many pencil have you lost yesterday ?

2.    I….(not/read) a book when I was on Holiday
I didn’t read a book when I was on Holiday.

3.    She …. (not/eat) anything today.
She didn’t ate  anything  today
Past Perfect ( I had done)

·         Study this example situation :
I went to a party last week. Tom went to the party too, Tom went home at 10.30. So, when I arrived at 11 o’clock, Tom wasn’t there.

When I arrived at the party, Tom wasn’t there.
He had gone home.

This is the past perfect ( simple) tense.
I/he/she (etc) (= I’d/ he’d/she’d)
I/he/she (et) = hadn’t gone
Had you /he/she (etc) gone?

·         Sometimes we talk about something that happened in the past ;
I arrived at the party.


·         We use the past perfect to say that something had already happened before this time :
When I arrived at the party, Tom had already gone home.
Here are some more examples :
1.    When I got home, I found that someone had broken into my flat and had stolen my fur coat.
2.    George didn’t want to come to the cinema with us because he had already seen the fil twice.
3.    It was my first time in a aeroplane. I was very nervous because I hadn’t flown before.

·         The past perfect ( I had done) is the past of the present perfect ( I have done). Compare this situation :
1.    Present
I am not hungry. I’ve just had lunch.
The house is dirty. We haven’t cleaned it for weeks.
2.    Past
I wasn’t hungry. I’d just had lunch
The house was dirty. We hadn’t cleaned itfor weeks.


·         Compare the past perfect ( I had done) and the Past simple ( I did) :
1.    Was Tom there when you arrived?  NO he had already gone home.
But Was Tome there when you arrived ?  Yes but he went home soon.
2.    Ann wasn’t in when I phoned her. She was in London.
But Ann just got home when I phoned her. She had been in London.

EXERCISES

1.   Was Maria there when you come?   No she… (sleep) at home.
No she has slept at home.

2.   The place was very nice, everybody…(go) to visit.
Everybody had gone to visit.

3.   We go to campus late. (the lessons/already/begin)
The lessons had already begun
Past Perfect Continuous ( I had been doing)

·         Study this example situation :
Yesterday morning I got up and looked out of the window. The sun was shining but the ground was very wet.

It had been raining.

It wasn’t raining when I looked out of the window, The sun was shining. But it had been raining. That’s why the ground was wet.

Had been raining is the past perfect continuous tense.
I/he/she (etc) (= I’d/ he’d, she’d etc)

Here are some more some examples :
1.    When the boy came into the house, their clothes were dirty, Their hair were untidy and one had a black eye. They had been fighting.
2.    I was very tired when I arrived home. I’d been working hard all day.


·         You can use the past perfect continuous to say how long something had been happening before something else happened :
1.    The football match had to be stopped. They had been playing for half an hour when there was a terrible storm.
2.    Ken had been smoking for 30 years when he finally gave it up.

·         The past perfect continuous ( I had been doing) is the past of the present perfect continuous ( I have been doing). Compare :
1.   Present
How long have you been waiting ?(until now)
He’s out of breath. He has been running.

2.   Past
How long had you been waiting when the bus finally came ?
He was out of breath. He had been running.

·         Compare the past perfect continuous ( I had been doing) and the past continuous ( I was doing) :
1.    When I looked out of the window. It had been raining. (+ it wasn’t raining. When I looked out, it had stopped.)
2.    When I looked out of the window,it was raining. (=rain was falling at the time I looked out).

EXERCISES

1.   When I come, Ann….in the kitchen (cook).
Ann was cooking in the kitchen.

2.   John was very tired when he come back to home (work) hard today.
He had working hard today.

3.   When I arrived the class, Jim…(sit) in front of the class.
Jim was sitting in front of class
Have and Have got

·         We often use have got/has got rather than have/has alone. So you can say :
1.    We’ve got a new car  or  We have a new car.
2.    Tom’s got (= Tom has got )a headache.  Or   Tom has a headache.

·         In questions and negatives sentences there are three possible forms :

Have you got any money?  ® I haven’t got any money.
Do you have any money?   ® I don’t have any money
Have you any money?       ® I haven’t any money

Has she got a car?            ® She hasn’t got a car
Does she have a car?         ® She doesn’t have a car.
Has she a car?                  ® she hasn’t a car.

·         In the past we don’t normally use got :
When she was a child, She had long fair hair. (not she had got


·         In past questions and negative sentences we normally use did/didn’t :
1.     Did you have a car when you lived in London? (not had you)
2.    I wanted to phone you, But I didn’t have your number. (not I hadn’t)
3.    He didn’t have a watch, So he didn’t know what time it was.

·          Have For actions
We also use have for a number of actions. For example :
Have breakfast/lunch/dinner/a meal/a drink/a cup of coffee/a cigarette etc.
Have a swim/a walk/a ret/a holiday/a party/ a  good time etc.
Have a bath/a shower/ a wash.
Have a look ( at something)
Have a baby (= give birth to a baby)
Have a chat (with someone)

·         ‘’Have got’’ is not possible in these expressions :
I usually have a big breakfast in the morning. (not have got)

Compare :
1.    I have a bath every morning (= I take a bath ® this is an action)
2.    I’ve got a bath. (= there is a bath in my house)

·         When you use have for actions, you can use continuous forms (is having/are having/was having/ was having etc) :
1.   Where’s Tom?  He’s having a bath.

·         In questions and negative sentences you must use do/does/did :
1.    I don’t usually have a big breakfast. (not I usually haven’t)
2.    What time does Ann have lunch ? ( not has Ann lunch)
3.    Did you have a swim this morning ? (not had you a swim?

EXERCISES

1.    He couldn’t write his letter ( pen)
He didn’t have a pen.

2.    …some money to buy a book.
Did you have some money to buy a book ?

3.    How often you have a long time to your hobby ?
Not often I am very busy.

LITERATURE :

1.   Allen, W.S, Living English Structure, Longmans, green and Co.Ltd,London :1960
2.   Zandvoogt, R,W. A Handbook of English Grammar, Longmans, green and Co. Ltd. London :1968
3.   Curme, G.O, Syntax, D.C Heath and Company, Boston :1981


Share this article :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Johan Budi - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger